Popular Posts

Monday, May 13, 2013

HEARING THE CHAPTER READ


(sorry for the irregular formatting, I'm a work in progress!)

Good writing must always be pleasant to the ear, and make sense. Perhaps we are ecologically created for oral histories and storytelling; for most stories were heard, and not read, in centuries past, around firesides and camp fires. Even in more recent times, there was not enough good light for everyone in a room to read, and books were read by one family member and listened to by the others. (We see plenty of examples of this in Austen herself).
Therefore the resonance, the tone, the character’s speeches, the pictures woven in events, must sound good to the ear, like poetry or drama.



I read out my Brandon chapter and recorded it on my smartphone. I read all my chapters aloud, to background music which I choose to suit the scene. Brandon was talking to a senior officer who is a rather pompous and mean character; and Baroque Marches from You-Tube helped me write the scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-4NAf5PEc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdqvjM7wdU  both from TheClassicalSymphony Channel


  I also play the music while I read it aloud into my cute little android. When I play the recording back, the background music adds atmosphere, which makes me more creative, and helps me to zone in on what mood I want the scene to be.  Also it masks my squeaky chair and my occasional mutterings about necessary edits and illogical elements. Recording is a good practice, and I can listen to it while I am doing chores – mixing it up! Some parts are actually good, and they give me confidence in what I am doing. And most importantly – the creases show up, and I shake my head while wiping the countertop and say – nope, that doesn’t sound right...he is a military man, and wouldn’t wince…make him frown…

No comments:

Post a Comment